“There is no season when such pleasant and sunny spots may be lighted on, and produce so pleasant an effect on the feelings, as now in October” – Nathaniel Hawthorne
1) The television show The Good Wife. The writing is smart and suspenseful, the acting is phenomenal. The pacing is frantically fantastic. I am obsessed. I elaborated more in another post, so I won’t beat a dead horse.
2) I’ve read or listened to 17 book this month, which may be a personal record. One book really stood out from the rest of the pack – I loved The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. It’s an amazing grief memoir that’s helped me a great deal. It’s also a National Book Award winner and I highly recommend it.
4) Old friends. Why is it that everyday life often gets in the way of seeing old friends, friends who live less than an hour away? Sadly, it was a condolence call after Edmund’s passing that brought us together again. I love the Savas family, who we met when Rich and I first moved to Atlanta in the late ‘90s. Sybil worked with Rich, and her family was always very gracious and treated us like one of their own.
In fact, Rich and I once watched two of the big kids in the above picture for a whole weekend, as a “test run” to see if we were ready for kids. So indirectly, they’re responsible for our little Smithies. Sybil and Pete are wonderful parents who we’ve always tried to emulate. After getting reacquainted with the adults who showed up at our house a couple weeks ago, we’ll try even harder.
5) Sweet family moments like this:
Audrey reading to Barrett.
Playing family football.
After 8 years of putting my name in the hat, I finally got picked to chaperone a field trip. Although it was raining and freezing, I got to witness and experience moments like this:
6) Audrey attended her first concert – Selena Gomez. Although I was kind of dreading the event, her excitement was very contagious and I’m lucky I got to be there with her. I attended my first concert (Rick Springfield) with one of my oldest BFFs, Barbara, when we were 12. Get this – her dad just dropped us off by ourselves at the concert. In Fort Lauderdale! We were 12!
Missy Audie Pie fell asleep during the concert and I can’t imagine how, because it was soooo loud! Like her momma, she can’t handle a late night!
7) This special gift from my friend LynnAnn:
A painting of the sunset on May 12, 2103, the day my brother died. Oh, how he loved sunsets.
8) Fall traditions:
Carving the family pumpkin.
Planting mums & pansies. Under those flowers, there are 110 tulip bulbs! Please let there be 110 blooms, come spring!
The first fire of the season.
9) These footy pajamas:
10) Flowers from a friend – thanks Jen!
11) Halloween – read all about it here.
12) Always, (or most of the time) these faces:
13) The Boston Red Sox are the 2013 World Champions!
I feel like I may have turned a corner this month. I’d love to hear from you! Please share what made you happy in October and what you’re looking forward to in November.